There’s no doubt that the grants and funding landscape in New Zealand continues to be challenging. The good news is that there are many resources out there to support the ever-busy fundraiser.
If you haven’t heard of Match | Te Puna Taurite (MTPT) yet, it’s the newest ‘kid on the block.’ It aims to more efficiently and effectively connect the demand for and supply of philanthropic funding and was designed to complement existing services like our Grants Expertise Management System (GEMS). You can read more from Philanthropy New Zealand | Tōpūtanga Tuku Aroha o Aotearoa Chief Executive, Sue McCabe, and our Director Jo Garner, here.
Now that MTPT has launched in Aotearoa New Zealand and is a welcome addition to the resources already on the market, we thought it would be a great time to break down what it does and its key differentiating factors from GEMS.
Let’s start with GEMS
Our grants database, GEMS, is an always current, customised grants calendar finding JUST the grants relevant to your organisation.
It’s your all-in-one online system that connects you with the grant funding opportunities that align with your organisation’s funding priorities, allows you to track the life cycle of your grant applications and ensures you keep on top of funder reporting deadlines – critical for your relationship with funders.
GEMS contains ALL grant sources for your organisation, no matter which sector or region(s) you work in, including:
- Trusts and Foundations
- Health and medical research funders including peer-reviewed
- Corporate Foundations
- Local, regional and central government grants and tenders
- Gaming trusts and Lottery grants
- International funders that give to New Zealand-based organisations
Updated daily by a team of experienced researchers, GEMS delivers:
- An always current, customised Grants Calendar finding JUST the grants relevant to your organisation
- Full access to all the funding sources through your personalised GEMS account
- Tracking of application outcomes including when funder reports are due
- Email alerts on upcoming application and reporting deadlines
- Monthly one-hour webinars exclusive to GEMS subscribers, to connect with the Strategic Grants team and other GEMS users
- Integrations with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge NXT and Salesforce (and if you use a different CRM, let us know so we can look into future integrations!)
Strategic Grants have been building the capability and capacity of for-purpose organisations across Aotearoa since 2014. In addition to GEMS, our clients look to us for expert advice on strategic grants and fundraising planning as well as grants training, writing and advisory services.
Through our partnership with Philanthropy New Zealand, we are thrilled to offer a discount on new GEMS subscriptions exclusive to Philanthropy New Zealand members – ask us more! And if you are a smaller charity with an annual revenue under $1.5 million, we have a grants solution just for you – find out about GEM Local here.
So, what is MTPT?
MTPT aims to more easily connect those with funds to those that seek them.
There are separate functions depending on whether you are looking for grant funding or you are giving out grant funding.
Fundseekers will be able to:
- Upload funding requests to get in front of multiple funders at once
- Upload your funding needs once, in a form that suits you
- Have feedback opportunities that will strengthen fundseeker voice in the funding system
Funders will be able to:
- ️View an overview of all funding requests- as categorised by region, impact area etc.
- Connect with fundseekers in order to fund them
- Collaborate with other funders
It’s important to note that MTPT is not a guaranteed place to acquire funding, a place where fundseekers will be able to initiate connections to funders, nor is it a replacement for existing services like those offered by Strategic Grants. What it does offer is a unique way for charities to get in front of prospective funders who may also be using MTPT.
So, even though fundraising may seem challenging now, more than ever, know that you are not alone! The Strategic Grants and Philanthropy New Zealand teams are here and would love to help.
For a limited time we are offering three free months of GEMS – that’s 15 months for the price of 12! Find out more here.