Grant strategies to build nonprofit capacity
- Published: Tuesday, 02 April 2019 14:37
Author: Bianca Williams
The Waikato Funding Expo was held last month - a fantastic event providing local community groups the opportunity to talk to a range of Funders and capacity building organisation’s – all under one roof! Those who attended gained practical advice and industry information by talking to stall holders and participating in workshops held throughout the day.
The SG team were proud to be a part of the event with three of our team members in attendance; Jo, Maria and Clint spent the day talking to community members about how to develop their funding strategies to build capacity and apply strategic thinking to their service delivery and fundraising programs.
The day was run with three streams repeated twice over the course of the day to allow community groups to come in the morning or the afternoon, providing ample opportunity for as many groups to attend as possible - and be a part of this learning event.
Clint (our New Zealand Grants Strategist) attended the Funders Panel – delivered in a Q & A forum between community group members and representatives from the WEL Energy Trust, Momentum Waikato, DV Bryant Trust and Creative Waikato. This session was a huge success with 40 people in the room from a diverse range of community groups, asking questions around how funders evaluate grant applications, and what areas of the community they fund.
The ‘gem of wisdom’ came from the CEO of the WEL Energy trust who said to the group “if you apply for the same old thing in the same old way you will get the same old result”.
All up, an inspiring day of like-minded people coming together to share their stories, knowledge and passion for the sector of the community they represent.
p.s. A beautiful moment was experienced by the Funders who linked arms to show their commitment and support for the ‘Stop the Bus’ movement which raises awareness of child abuse in NZ – ‘to make a difference, it takes us all’. Check the video out here…
Recent blog posts
- Project Planning – essential for funding success
- Why a Case for Support document is crucial to successful fundraising
- The New Zealand Charities Act (2005) Review – free webinar
- The Four Ps and one A for an Effective Key Messages Document
- The common ground of grant-seeking between Australia and Europe
- Evaluation – The key to learning and improving practice is asking powerful questions
- Centralising Grant-Seeking for New Zealand Organisations operating regional divisions
- The Future of Trust
- Q&A with a Local Council client
- Waikato Funders Expo - Wrap Up