Grant strategies to build nonprofit capacity
- Published: Tuesday, 02 April 2019 14:37
Author: Bianca Williams
The Waikato Funding Expo was held last month - a fantastic event providing local community groups the opportunity to talk to a range of Funders and capacity building organisation’s – all under one roof! Those who attended gained practical advice and industry information by talking to stall holders and participating in workshops held throughout the day.
The SG team were proud to be a part of the event with three of our team members in attendance; Jo, Maria and Clint spent the day talking to community members about how to develop their funding strategies to build capacity and apply strategic thinking to their service delivery and fundraising programs.
The day was run with three streams repeated twice over the course of the day to allow community groups to come in the morning or the afternoon, providing ample opportunity for as many groups to attend as possible - and be a part of this learning event.
Clint (our New Zealand Grants Strategist) attended the Funders Panel – delivered in a Q & A forum between community group members and representatives from the WEL Energy Trust, Momentum Waikato, DV Bryant Trust and Creative Waikato. This session was a huge success with 40 people in the room from a diverse range of community groups, asking questions around how funders evaluate grant applications, and what areas of the community they fund.
The ‘gem of wisdom’ came from the CEO of the WEL Energy trust who said to the group “if you apply for the same old thing in the same old way you will get the same old result”.
All up, an inspiring day of like-minded people coming together to share their stories, knowledge and passion for the sector of the community they represent.
p.s. A beautiful moment was experienced by the Funders who linked arms to show their commitment and support for the ‘Stop the Bus’ movement which raises awareness of child abuse in NZ – ‘to make a difference, it takes us all’. Check the video out here…
Recent blog posts
- The role of a ‘Case for Support’ in securing funds for your organisation
- Q & A with one of our GEM Local subscribers - Pound Paws Inc.
- Positive (largely) funder news update from Jo Garner – let’s keep working together
- Viruses – Biological and Technological
- Grant-seeking in uncertain times
- Communications Beyond Clever Words – Using evidence to convince your supporters
- The ins and outs of outcomes and outputs – getting it right in your grant applications
- Retaining organisational knowledge is crucial to a successful grants program
- Strategic Grants Research Blog Series - Part 3
- The Musts for 2020 Grants Success!