Grant strategies to build nonprofit capacity
- Published: Friday, 27 September 2019 13:50
Author: Alissa Bermingham
Strategic Grants’ Research and Administration Officer, Alissa, will provide valuable insight into how the team at Strategic Grants maintain and update the unique online grants management system, GEMS (Grants Expertise Management System). Today’s blog launches the Grants Research Blog Series.
Grants Research Blog Series #1 – Introducing…#Team Research
Grants research takes a lot of time. Time that a lot of grant-seekers don’t have. The process of trawling the depths of the internet to locate grant opportunities, decipher funding guidelines, track closing dates and work out whether the opportunity is even relevant for the organisation is arduous and time consuming.
In 2012, Strategic Grants identified the need for an online grants management system that provided a customised list of just the grants that are relevant to the individual organisation and their funding needs – resulting in the development of GEMS (Grant Expertise Management Systems) GEMS is maintained and updated by our very own team of research analysts…..affectionately called #Team Research.
Team Research are the people who work tirelessly behind the scenes, at least 80 hours per week, to ensure that the information in the GEMS database is up to date and accurate.
While the team are spread across Australia, New Zealand and Europe, distance does not prevent them from staying connected to always finding new ways to streamline internal research processes, ensuring our nonprofit partners are receiving the most accurate, up to date grants data through the regular alerts and their customised, always up to date 12 month Grants Calendar.
Why our Grants Research is of the highest quality
Our Research Analysts are in the GEM Portal system, doing specialised grants research over 80 hours every week. While the human resource aspect of #TeamResearch and the time we are able to spend immersed in data is a huge benefit to GEM subscribers, another strength the team brings to your nonprofit is their in-depth understanding and knowledge of the Australian and New Zealand grants landscape, knowing exactly what to look for when researching and speaking directly with the funders.
Eligibility requirements, guidelines, funding arrangements, average grant amounts and information on past recipients is presented differently by each funding body. Working solely in the grants research space (in between undergraduate and post graduate studies), our team have built an informed understanding of grant-related language and jargon. Our goal is to ensure our nonprofit partners have access to the most current and relevant grant and funder information. The data we collate, analyse and enter presents the key details so grant-seekers have all their most relevant prospects’ details at their fingertips, in GEMS.
Team Research are an awesome team of expert grant researchers who are passionate about nonprofits and most importantly, accurate and timely grants research.
The Grants Research Blog Series
Throughout the series, I’ll outline Strategic Grants’ rigorous research process, including:
* Our data sources and how we ensure its currency and accuracy (funder websites don’t always contain the most up to date information)
* The importance of research – why the diamonds are in the details (and how our Research Analysts ensure they don’t miss them)
* How the Grant-Matching Process works
So stay tuned…..
Recent blog posts
- Q & A with one of our GEM Local subscribers - Pound Paws Inc.
- Positive (largely) funder news update from Jo Garner – let’s keep working together
- Viruses – Biological and Technological
- Grant-seeking in uncertain times
- Communications Beyond Clever Words – Using evidence to convince your supporters
- The ins and outs of outcomes and outputs – getting it right in your grant applications
- Retaining organisational knowledge is crucial to a successful grants program
- Strategic Grants Research Blog Series - Part 3
- The Musts for 2020 Grants Success!