Grant strategies to build nonprofit capacity
- Published: Thursday, 24 March 2016 14:53
Author: Kate Sunners
We hope you’ve got a relaxing long weekend planned for the Easter break!
While Easter in the Southern Hemisphere doesn’t fall on the first full moon of Spring, it’s still a time associated with renewal, because rather than the miracle of the sun returning after winter, we Southern Hemispherers get to enjoy the renewal that the cooler weather brings! Anyone else’s brains been feeling incredibly sluggish in the warm weather? (I swear I’m at least 20% cleverer in winter!).
In the vein of renewal, we want to encourage you to take a little quiet time between nibbling your hot cross buns and dreaming of the weekend, to think back over your grants program since this time last year, and reflect on:
Where you were then, and where you are now.
It’s sometimes hard to see how far you’ve come in a year when you’re always looking to the future, but it’s important to look at the big picture, note your achievements and understand where you could have done better. You’re likely to find your inspiration there for planning the future of your grants program.
Your funder relationships.
Is it time to renew contact with some who have fallen off your radar?
The people delivering the programs and projects you’re running with your grants funding.
Do they need a reminder about funder expectations, and what kinds of information they need to collect for your evaluation?
What have been your biggest learnings?
Taking this time to consider, should help you leap into the season of renewal with some fresh ideas and strategies for your grants program.
If all else fails…keep calm and eat chocolate!
Recent blog posts
- The Four Ps and one A for an Effective Key Messages Document
- The common ground of grant-seeking between Australia and Europe
- Evaluation – The key to learning and improving practice is asking powerful questions
- Centralising Grant-Seeking for New Zealand Organisations operating regional divisions
- The Future of Trust
- Q&A with a Local Council client
- Waikato Funders Expo - Wrap Up
- Capital Campaigns – fundraising at its finest!
- The love song guide to nurturing Funder relationships
- Understand the ecosystem, honour your funders, involve your beneficiaries!